I got a kindle for Christmas and I decided to put my skills to good use and create a cover for it. It gave me a great excuse to try out some cable stitches I've been wanting to crochet.
I created it using Anchor Style Creativa100% cotton yarn, its DK weight. This yarn comes in wonderfully vibrant colours, I've done the front side in bright red and the back in lime green.
For the front I worked drunken cables, they wander back and forward across the work.
And for the back I worked some linked bobbles.
The back needed to be worked a little longer so that it creates a flap to cover the top of my kindle, it also has a couple of little button holes worked near the top edge.
I very rarely block my work, but as you can see from the pictures above I needed to this time. The drunken cables tends to pull the sides in and out along with the wondering of the cables.
I blocked them by soaking in cold water for around 20 minutes, then rolling them in a towel to remove excess water. Then I pin them out to the shape and size I wanted and leave them to dry naturally and completely.
In my case because these are relatively small pieces of work I pinned them out on my ironing board.
Once they were completely dry I backed them with felt. I sew them using a bobbin thread that matches the yarn colour and a sewing thread that matches the felt.
I also sew around the button holes and cut through the felt.
The last things to do is sew the front and back together
...... and add the buttons. I added a couple of little flower buttons with crystal centers just for a little glam.
Now my kindle has a cosy new home.