Monday, March 8, 2010

Tackling wire crochet

I've attempted wire crochet a number of times but so far its always ended up with a ball of wire being thrown in the bin ...  So since I have some time on my hands I am going to give it another try.

I have various reels of wire, but I think the safest bet is to try first off with some of the finer stuff, just go for something simple and see how things progress.


First off I decided to just try to crochet with the wire, a simple circle and see how that went.


First lesson is that the wire is quite hard on your fingers, I had to adopt a slightly different approach to handling the wire than I do for yarn - but it seemed to work OK.

Then I thought I'd like to add some beads to the crochet to see how that looked.  Of course the trick is to remember to to "thread" the beads before starting to crochet.... how many times have I ended up having to stitch on beads afterwards because I forgot, not really an option with the wire though.


So this is how I stared, with some fine jewellery wire and some cornelian chips.  I ended up with a quite pretty little bracelet.


No comments:

Post a Comment