Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tatting ... Hummm

So I got my tatting kit this morning, it consists of 2 balls of tatting yarn, a shuttle & an instruction manual.

Well I thought that Crochet was hard to learn from a book !!  After quite a bit of creating useless knots and trying to figure out why my tatting looked upside down compared to the instructions I decided that I needed some extra tuition.

My mantra is "there is nothing you can't find on the internet" so I got out trusty old google and set about finding some how-to's for tatting.

YouTube - you are a Godsend!  I discovered that the instructions were not making "the flip" clear ... and this, as I know now. is what tatting is all about - no flip, no tat :)

This YouTube video is great for showing what is supposed to happen - this is what made it clear to me.

Now I have managed to create a wonderful chain of tatting - hardly the most exciting thing in the world but a huge leap forward from my knots of earlier.

3 comments:

  1. It is a good start. Well done!
    A lot of practise will improve it. There are many tatting patterns that you can get free online if you make a search for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Flip" has always been the bugaboo for anyone trying to learn tatting from written instructions. Glad to see you figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jon & Gina :) Hopefully with a bit more practice and some inspiring patterns I'll be flying.

    ReplyDelete