Monday, February 28, 2011

Kindle Cover

I got a kindle for Christmas and I decided to put my skills to good use and create a cover for it.  It gave me a great excuse to try out some cable stitches I've been wanting to crochet.

I created it using Anchor Style Creativa100% cotton yarn, its DK weight.  This yarn comes in wonderfully vibrant colours, I've done the front side in bright red and the back in lime green.

For the front I worked drunken cables, they wander back and forward across the work.

Crochet Kindle Cover

And for the back I worked some linked bobbles.

Crochet Kindle Cover

The back needed to be worked a little longer so that it creates a flap to cover the top of my kindle, it also has a couple of little button holes worked near the top edge.

I very rarely block my work, but as you can see from the pictures above I needed to this time.  The drunken cables tends to pull the sides in and out along with the wondering of the cables.

I blocked them by soaking in cold water for around 20 minutes, then rolling them in a towel to remove excess water.  Then I pin them out to the shape and size I wanted and leave them to dry naturally and completely.

In my case because these are relatively small pieces of work I pinned them out on my ironing board.

Once they were completely dry I backed them with felt.  I sew them using a bobbin thread that matches the yarn colour and a sewing thread that matches the felt.

Crochet Kindle Cover

I also sew around the button holes and cut through the felt. 

Crochet Kindle Cover

The last things to do is sew the front and back together


Crochet Kindle Cover


...... and add the buttons.  I added a couple of little flower buttons with crystal centers just for a little glam.

Crochet Kindle Cover

Now my kindle has a cosy new home.

1 comment: