Monday, January 10, 2011

... I'll just make one ...

Its our office "Christmas" party this week.  I got a dress .....

But its winter & cold ... so I need something to cover up without having to wear a great big overcoat. 

I had a look around in the shops and everything that they have is either really flimsy or ridiculously over priced. So I decided I could make one myself.

First thing is first, what yarn to use.  I thought of getting some fine mohair yarn but decided against it because it wouldn't be warm enough.  Then I thought of getting silk yarn, but couldn't find one that I liked.  So I settled for some Debbie Bliss Andes - which is an alpaca/Silk blend and absolutely lovely to work with.
Debbie Bliss Andes Yarn

Then the next thing was to make my shawl.  I had a look through my pattern books but couldn't see anything I liked - I didn't want it to be too lacy, but then again I didn't want it to be too solid either.  There was nothing in my patterns that was quite right.

So the only thing for it was to make one up myself.  This is what I have come up with.

Crochet black shawl

Its offset fans with blocks of treble crochet between.

Crochet black shawl

I think I've managed to get the balance between lacy and solid I was hoping for. 

Only thing I need to do now is work very quickly to finish it on time ... I have more yarn on order, fingers crossed it arrives today or tomorrow or I'll have no chance !!

No comments:

Post a Comment