Friday, January 7, 2011

Needle tatting - My first try.

I get quite curious about different crafts from time to time.  I've always liked the look of tatting - it reminds me of some of the more delicate Irish crochet.  Quite a while ago I tried out shuttle tatting and just couldn't get on with it.  I found it very unforgiving, its tremendously difficult to recover from mistakes and I found joining threads almost impossible.

I persisted with it for a while but in the end gave it up as one of those things I just couldn't really get the hang of properly. 

Then I found out about needle tatting, the first challenge was getting a needle - they are almost impossible to come by in the UK.  Not that they are expensive or anything, just no-one stocks them .... shuttles I could find everywhere, but not needles.  I managed to find them through an online shop (http://www.tatting.co.uk/) and they were delivered yesterday.

So last night I thought I'd give it a go ... and its much easier to get the hang of (so far!).  With the help of some videos on You-Tube by TotusMel and Agasunset I managed to make a little flower - what do you think of it?

Needle tatting flower

I know its not the neatest thing in the world, but I don't think its TOO bad for a first attempt.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Glad I could be of help...you'll just get better too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did great for starters. As the comment by TotusMel earlier, you'll get better as you go.

    ReplyDelete