Monday, January 31, 2011

Lining up the projects again ....

I've been almost obsessively lining up the projects again.  I'm in the process of making a babies stacking toy right now.  I have the pole and base made and one of the rings (which is a bee) and I'm half way through the second ring (which will be a ladybird (ladybug)).  But not satisfied with that I am already lining up the next "few" projects.

We were in our local town and I was lured into the little haberdashery shop we have there, usually they have a reasonable selection of average yarns and maybe the odd interesting one - but this time they had some brand new ones it.  Katia yarns, I'd never heard of them before.

I got a couple of different yarns to try out. Rizos and Zenith. 

The Rizos yarn is a tape like yarn
The difference here is that at the top of the tape there is a loopy band, and its this loopy band that you use to work with.


I tried and tried to work out a way to crochet with this, following the Knitting instructions, but it was just too difficult to see the stitches - so I had to admit defeat and get out my dusty old knitting needles and give it a go with that.  I need to finish the stacking toy first - but at least I've proved to myself I can make something with this yarn.

The Zenith yarn is a fluffy, sparkly, lumpy yarn 


The Knitting Instructions say to knit it up with large needles, so I thought I'd give it a go with a large (12mm) crochet hook - I think this will work :) 

Mind you, this is a "make no mistakes" yarn, it is impossible to frog it!

Clearly, this is not enough to be going on with !!!  I've also bought a patterns book Crochet So Fine by Kristin Omdahl.  There are quite a few of the patterns that I really fancy the idea of creating.  There is a shawl made with No10 Crochet thread that I'm planning on making (already have the thread on order), its great to see a garment pattern for No10 crochet thread rather than just doilies or motifs.  Also, I've just got a sample of really fine, lace weight yarn to see if its the right gauge for little cardigan I fancy making from the book.

Oh, yes ... I also have yarn waiting for me to re-make my cable fingerless gloves because I made a half-arsed attempt at writing the pattern the first time and I need to do them again to get all the details down properly!  Will I ever learn?

I think that's it for the lined up projects, those and a couple of patterns to write up :) 

Should keep me out of mischief for a little while anyway don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment